[blindkid] Australia and life context skills

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Sat Feb 20 17:50:30 UTC 2010

Dear Heather,
As you and I were also addressing larger educational issues that are
often affected by teacher bias, and are topics that many parents of
blind children need to think through and have views on, I don't think
that the moderators would mind a couple of final posts. I am actually
Australian myself, currently living in America, so I'm very aware of
the snow that can fall in parts of Australia. However, in my post I
said that if a child lived in, northern, Australia. The far north of
Australia is above the tropic of Capricorn and doesn't ever get snow.
A dusting may have fallen at times in Queensland, where I'm from, but
this doesn't help validate an assertion that knowing how to button an
over-coat might be a higher priority than good spelling. This is
because none of the stores in Northern Australia would have an
over-coat in stock, because they're never needed up in the tropics.
Even through some freak of nature should a dusting of snow fall and
stick long enough to be identified as snow, a child wouldn't be able
to use his carefully learned over-coat buttoning skills. So, the
contextual framework of his life would still determine his skill
learning priorities, not very occasional weather events.

As for the 911 example, i had meant to change my first draft  by
inserting, "parts of Africa" to give the post diversity. In my rush I
forgot to do it. Thank you so much for pointing out that of course, a
modern country like Australia,  has an emergency response service.
Having clarified those points I would still encourage you to consider
the concept of life context as a determining factor. I would also like
to encourage parents to give less weight their young child's
preferences when making choices about what skills they insist their
child learn. In numerous posts on the topic of tools that a child
needs, parents said something like "if my child likes it," or, "if my
child really likes it." This is rarely a criterion used by parents of
sighted children when deciding which life skills their child needs to
learn. Usually, if parents of sighted children decide that a
particular skill or set of skills is important - such as learning a
musical instrument or learning basic cooking - then the children are
expected to do it, whether they particularly like it or not. I would
encourage parents of blind children to take the same approach.

Warmest regards,

Heather Field