[blindkid] wrestling

EMMOL at aol.com EMMOL at aol.com
Tue Feb 23 02:19:17 UTC 2010

Becky,
My son wrestled in our local youth wrestling program during elementary
school & really enjoyed it.
He learned the moves as everyone else did. Sometimes when teaching a  new
technique they demonstrated it using Patrick. That way he was going through
it as well as getting the verbal. They all practiced with a partner. When
running their laps he ran with a friend. During meets, one of the coaches
walked  with him to the center of the mat. Constant contact was reviewed  with
the opponent. All of the refs were familiar with the technique and it  was
never a problem. (I was more nervous than he ever was during matches!) What
a smile on that first win! Unfortunately it became more competitive in
Middle  School. He wasn't able to make weight. (He was always slight.) But he
continued to practice with the team.

Eventually he gave up wrestling and concentrated on his golf which he had
started around the same time. He continues to golf, is a member of the
Junior  Blind Golf Assoc. and worked at a golf course this summer teaching golf
to kids.  He can't wait for the snow to melt so he can get out on the course
again!
Eileen