[blindkid] Winning braille?

Colleen Davis bldhnds52 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 02:54:02 UTC 2010

I am so sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time. With all the steps that you have taken already, it is hard to imagine why they won't give Braille a shot. Does your child not have a TVI, or is the TVI not wanting to teach Braille? I usually do an informal assessment of the student in large print and again (same type of assessment) orally. If there is a big difference with the large print coming in behind, I go with a combination of LP and pre-Braille.

There isn't anything wrong with transitioning to Braille from large print. Many people have eye conditions that deteriorate over time. Your child may be very good compensating for what he/she is not able to see. Also, just because he/she can use large print doesn't mean that he/she should use large print.

I'm not sure where you live, but there may be an Educational Service Center that can help you out, both with the assessments and with talking to your child's teachers.

I know this isn't much, but I hope it helps a little. Feel free to contact me off list if I can be of any further help.

Good luck,
Colleen
TVI in TX