[blindkid] MacBook Pro

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Sat Feb 27 19:05:17 UTC 2010

I purchase a great deal from small, and we are talking very small companies
online.  Some are a nice lady who makes awsum hand-made soaps, and her
daughter who designed her website or a couple who sells their organic honey
and maple syrup from their own land in Maine and their random unckle Bob did
up their web site for them. .  Yes, that small.  A lot of these sites are
minimally accessable, and I have no problem with that, because I'd rather
the world have the benifit of these lovely hand-made and home-made products
that are created in small batches with attention to detail, than to have
every site on the web be accessible or shut down.  Honestly, and I am blind,
for the record, the portion of the population that is blind is small enough,
that I think the greater good of the entire population, blind and sighted
together needs to be the priority.  I think that accessability, for any
disability should always be strivven for, but not at the cost of the general
population.  All of the small companies I buy from are more than happy to
take time out of their personal days to help me out.  And, we are not
talking about "Give me the list of what you want and your credit card
number, and I will run it for you."  No, we are talking "Sure, I'd be happy
to read the full ingreediants lists for our soap and our body oils and our
body scrubs."  "No problem, let me describe the patterns of these baby
carriers in detail for you, so that you can pick the best one for you, and
yes, I can look up a picture of the Vira Bradley pattern that your hand bag
and diaper bag are in, so that I can recommend which of our mei teis will go
best with your ensamble as a whole."  "Here, I'll tell you about our
upcoming sale, since there's some flash on the little blerb that announces
new sales, that your computer won't read to you, and in fact, it sstarts
next week, but would you like to buy items from that release and the current
one, while we are on the phone together?"  "Oh, I totally understand,
describe the style of cloth diapers that you bought from me and I would be
happy to go and find one off the shelf and read you the washing instructions
on the tag, since you can't read it, would you like me to send you a free
sample of my two favorite brands of organic soap for washing cloth diapers
while I'm at it?"  And so on and so forth.  These people I buy from know
organic foods, or soap making, or artisan cheeses, or amazing craftsmanship,
they do not usually know computers, and they usually do their best to design
their sites themselves, or have family friends do it for free, or for a
discounted rate.  I'm not going to fault them for that.  Many have taken
steps to make little subtle changes to their shopping cart software, forums
or online catalogs, so that they are easier for me to use.  A huge
corperation can just shut their mouth and fix their site and stop hastling
the blind community, but smaller businesses should be forgiven their
inadaquate websites, and given gentle suggestions for improvement.

There is a beautiful old restaurant, off the beaten path, in, gah, trying to
remember, Oklahoma I believe, that my father and I went to, when we were
going across the united states trying to camp in as many states as possible.
It was old and rickity and pitted and scratched, in the historical way, not
the slummy way.  It had a gorgeous sweeping viranda with a double
stairecase, one long set of steps  coming down from each side, east and
west.  That had cultural and historical significance for the owners.  This
was a very very old building, at least a hundred years old.  The food was
amazing, and the service and ambiance were really awsum.  We passed it again
a year later, and it was completely ruened.  When we asked the owners what
had happened, they explained that first a man in a wheelchair had come to
dine there, and had been told that they were very sorry, but there was no
ramp and no way for him to enter.  They offered to deliver a meal to his
home, to bring a table out to the beautiful lawn just for him and his
guest(s), or to have one of their servers actually carry him up the steps
and then carry up his chair.  This is a very small town we are talking
about.  Apparently that wasn't good enough for this man who went to the
local media and got the police involved.  So, the restaurant had a special
path and ramp built at the back of this restaurant, because, built into a
hill, the front was almost a full story above the ground, but in the back,
the staff/kitchen enterence is just a few feet above the ground.  The man
said that  "I'm not a second class citizen, I'm not going in the back door.
That's descrimination."  The restaurant couldn't find any way to make the
front accessable, but to build a winding ramp, in concrete, that all but
obliterated the nice front lawn, forced several of the nice old trees to be
cut down, and completely obscured the view of the historic double stairway
which was hacked in half for the concrete ramp and supports to come all of
the way up to the front door.  The locals kept coming, but the tourist
business died away, because of the changes to the building, and the place
closed, all for some crotchity old jerk in a wheelchair.  Nobody who is in a
wheelchair, deaf, blind, etc wants to be hated, or to actively take away joy
and enjoyment from others, accept for this a--h---.  It just drives me crazy
when I see extreamist groups pushing for changes that will not only benifit
them, but will make others misserable.

I agree that Target needs to comply, as they are loaded and can certainly
afford to fix their site, but I would actively oppose any legislation or
group who would try to insist that all businesses comply, even if it would
hurt their business or even cause it to close.  There is an indian
restaurant that I go to, where I bring my dog in the side door, hustle him
under a table and enjoy my meal, because the dog was upsetting to many of
the Muslim, Indian and Packastani individuals who made up at least
seventy-five percent of the clientelle.  I had all legal right to go there,
and I do go there with my dog, but I don't want to do something that might
cause the owners, extremely nice people, to lose business.