[blindkid] Guide dogs for twelve year olds?

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Jan 21 02:30:28 UTC 2010

Yes, they do for you.  My mother does for me.  I do for my son, but they do
not do your job for you, or do the parenting of your child for you, or do
your course work in school for you.  There are simply some things that
parents should not do, and caring for your guide dog is one of them.  When I
was sixteen and being a tipical lazy teenager and sleeping in and my dog was
wining, my mother would say "Heather, you'd better take that dog out, like
now, because if she has an accident I am not cleaning it up, you are."  When
I came home from rehearsal at ten at night and was feeding my dog, mom said
"You need to feed her earlier, don't be lazy.  Bring her food with you to
class, she cannot wait that long for dinner.  No one made you wait that long
for dinner."  I grew up with my mom telling me things like "You know you
love your guide dog, when you only have time for one of you to go to the
bathroom in between classes or on break from work, and you take your dog
out."  Most blind children do not grow up with guide dogs in their house or
with blind parents, let alone blind parents who have or have had guide dogs.
Even with my awsum sighted father, who I love to pieces, I was constantly
having to ask him to stop snuggling with my dog, explain for the bizillionth
time that "Dad, I have to rework this curb that she ran, I know it takes
extra time, but I can't let this slide."  "Yes, dad, I know it makes a
scene, but she ran me into this chair, and even if the whole restaurant is
watching, I have to rework it."  "No, dad, she can not ride in the back of
your friend's pick up truck, with out a crait, she could jump out and be
killed."  I was sixteen, not twelve, and I had an intelligent, loving
father, some kids have ignorant, indifferant fathers, I had a good mutual
relationship with him, many kids have only an authoratarian relationship
with their parents, and I was an assertive, confident, intelligent,
persnickity little shit, most kids bow unquestioningly to their parent's
wills, and would have given in.  It is appropriate for a parent to help a
six year old learn to care for a pet dog, not to help a twelve year old care
for a guide dog.