[blindkid] Guide dogs for twelve year olds?

Albert J Rizzi albert at myblindspot.org
Thu Jan 21 04:10:55 UTC 2010

I am not sure how or why I got my dog is of importance to this discussion,
as I can infer that you too would deny me an option to getting and securing
a guide dog because you must know that I am left to assume that I am no more
experienced or qualified to have a guide dog since I am only 4 years old in
blind life. How could a 46 year old man blind only 4 years possibly be
responsible enough or ready for a guide dog when much like that 12 year old
I must not have sufficient skills as you determine to be necessary to have
gotten a dog at all.   I have worked long and hard these past 4 years since
loosing my eye sight completely and over night due to a completely
unexpected illness. I am not coloring my opinions based upon my
achievements, but more importantly on the belief that all children need to
have the bar set high, no offense but it is opinions like yours which make
being an educator a challenge. You seem to have no faith in our youth and
that is sad. Just because someone is young or new to something should not be
reason to deny access or opportunity, what you hear is my conviction as an
educator to always get the best and expect and accept the best my students
have to offer, it is a shame that people have such strong opinions on this
that do nothing to promote our belief in children's abilities. I get that
today, and here is where my emotions are tied to what you are saying, I am
being told that I cannot teach in my school district any longer because I
need my sight to teach here. I hear nothing different in your rhetoric when
you deny students the option of using just using a guide dog because they
are not blind long enough? It is sad.

Albert J. Rizzi, M.Ed.
CEO/Founder
My Blind Spot, Inc.