[blindkid] Guide dogs for twelve year olds?

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Jan 21 18:13:38 UTC 2010

No biggy.  I understand your not wanting to get into that particular can of
worms.  Really I do.  I just want to make people think, and for them to make
me think.  It is a beautiful thing, no?  I know what I said sounds harsh,
but I feel the same way about incompitant dog handlers of any age, who give
all guide dog users a bad name.  A guide dog user who allows their dog to
jump all over the back seat of a cab makes it less likely that I and other
responsible guide dog users will be picked up.  Every guide dog user who
allows their dog to make terrible messes in hotels makes it more difficult
for responsible guide dog owners to have nice, stress-free check-in
proccesses.  Every guide dog owner who lets their dog kjump on people, nub
people's pant legs, hump people's legs, knock over small children, only
makes it harder for responsible dog users to keep people from fearing or
even hating their dogs.  If I see a neglegent guide dog owner, I report them
to their school.  If I hear from a business owner who has had a substandard
guide dog owner in their establishment, I find myself having to explain
about the differences between guide dog schools, guide dog handler
compitance, etc, in order to not be mistrusted or maligned.  That's all I am
saying.  If enough irrisponsibly handeled guide dogs bit people, the ADA
could be harmed.  If guide dogs and other service dogs, had enough instances
in which they ruened property, this could harm the ADA.  I honestly do not
blame the hotel clerk who jumps to his feet and tries to make me and my dog
leave, when I find out that they had a guest whose guide dog growled at and
tried to bite their bell hop, who had diareah all over the lobby carpets and
whose owner left the dog in the hotel room all alone, with out a tie down or
crate, and it chewed up the molding, the bed and the furnature.  True story.