[blindkid] music camps

Barbara.Mathews at sce.com Barbara.Mathews at sce.com
Mon Jan 25 05:20:03 UTC 2010

Debby,
My daughter is learning to read braille music from two sources.  One is the book, How to Read Braille Music, which comes in print and braille.  Kyra learned the basics reading that book.

The other is Richard Taesch's book, Introduction to Braille Music.  She got the braille edition for herself and the print edition for her piano teacher, both from NLS.  Using this book, they devote a portion of each lesson to braille music reading.  The piano teacher doesn't know braille music, but it works.  The key is a teacher who is willing to do it.

Regarding the IEP for freshman year, a couple of thoughts:  Request O&M lessons on the high school campus before school starts.  Try to get as much info as possible about where Winona's classes will be ahead of time so she can work on the routes.  And ask for the band music in braille if she makes progress learning braille music.

-Barbara