[blindkid] High School Marching Band

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Mon Jan 25 15:52:06 UTC 2010

Couple of things.  What instrument does she play?  Does she intend to be in
pit band or in the actual marching portion?  Um, don't know what the guide
dog bit was about, but she couldn't use a guide dog and march.  Well, if she
was old enough to have one, was marching in a strait line like in a parade
and she could get the dog to leash guide with the leash over her wrist or in
the crook of her arm, it might work.  She would have to see how the dog did
with all of the noise though.  It is not worth traumatizing a perfectly good
working guide for the sake of marching in a band.  My first dog did fine
sitting on the risers while I sang in choirs of over a hundred people, and
she did fine on stage with small ensambles, but when we sang with the RPO,
right in back of the full orchestra, the gong and the simbols scared her and
she flew out of there like a bat out of hell.  I learned to have her on tie
down back stage, as far from the orchestra as possible and she did fine.  I
think that if I had forced the issue I would have lost a very compitant and
steady stage dog.  How old is she?  My best friend growing up was in
marching band and although she is sighted, she is both a marching band nut
and very familiar with the particular abilities and challenges that I as a
blind teen faced and she might be able to offer some suggestions.  But I
would have to know the instrument and the type of marching involved.  For
instance, if they do a lot of performance competitions she might have a bit
harder time with the formations, than if she is going to be in the pit band
for the marching band or in a parade.  Depending on her instrument she could
link arms with someone, use a short laniard between her arm and the arm of
the person next to her, or between their wastes, etc.  How much sight does
she have?  If she is a partial, looking at the contrast of the uniforms and
the surface they will be marching on might prove helpful.  Also, how loud
her section is will be important.  For instance, if she is marching in a
close packed bunch on a parade route, and playing a brass instrument, it
will be harder for her to hear what is going on around her, but if she
plays, say a wood wind and will be in a part of a formation where she is
mostly surounded by woodwinds, then she will be more likely to hear what is
going on.  I think that having the drum major as well as the band director
on board will be important.  Perhaps she could talk to both ahead of time?
I hope this was helpful.