[blindkid] Learning those letters!

Marie empwrn at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 15 18:18:36 UTC 2010

Jack is in a phase of just loving letters right now. He wants to listen to his Little People ABCs CD all the time and if we are not listening to it he starts singing one of the songs and asks me to sing it. :)

We got the Scentsational Alphabet book which is nice but he right now he just wants to hear the letter names and the sounds the letters make (he does not even open the pages of the book itself) so I got him a Leap Frog toy that has different modes. One mode just says the letter name. Another mode says the name, the sound and a word that starts with that sound. There is also just a music mode and a quiz mode. We usually leave it on one of the first two modes I mentioned. I added braille labels to every letter so every time he presses a letter he feels the braille. I am hoping that hearing the name of the letter and/or sound and feeling the braille will help him to learn the feel of the letters. I've also added braille labels to my computer keyboard so whenever he plays a game (which is really not often) he will feel the braille then too.

He is averse to anyone doing much in the way of guiding his hands/fingers so I don't try to make him feel the braille in his books anymore. Instead I try to model placing my hands on the braille as if that is how I'm reading.

I also added braille labels to all of our letter magnets that I could get the labels to fit on. (They won't fit on our leap frog letter sound magnets.)

Just my latest ideas, would love to hear some constructive criticism. I love this list for such great ideas. Not everything suggested works with Jack but all the ideas get me to thinking!

Marie (mother of Jack born May 2005)
See glimpses of life with my determined son who is developing in his own way at his own time at http://allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com