[blindkid] A question.

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sat Jul 24 02:59:50 UTC 2010

I don't know that the parents here's answers are any better than your
own unless you possibly were not blind as a child? I am happy to share
but I'm also curious-- what are your thoughts on the matter?

 From my perspective, getting a cane in the child's hands first thing
is probably most important. If the child is too small to hold a cane,
use a wooden spoon (etc.) instead until a cane can be grasped and
held. I don't think we got our first cane until 18 months or so and
our daughter dragged her cane behind her much of the time before she
ever began to push it, but even then, she was learning that when she
went out, the cane went with her. Now taking her cane is second nature
for her, while some kids her age still new to canes are prone to
resist using them, especially at first. We didn't do the spoon trick
when she was a baby-- I wish we had. I don't think there are any
lasting effects from not doing that, but I also think she missed out
of some exploration that would have been nice for her before she had
her cane.

Also, put braille everywhere so that the blind child is always running
across braille, just like a sighted child sees a vast amount of print
before ever learning a single letter (let alone begins to actually
read). It may take a while to get services arranged but if parents do
the above early on, at least there will be some initial progress that
can probably be made just by getting the child to grow some interest
in a cane and braille, and that's really all we're doing with most
very young sighted kids too, right?

Apart from that, I agree with the others postings-- expect the same
things at pretty much the same times as with sighted kids and make the
goal be to function at (or above) grade level for typically sighted
kids unless there is some compelling (generally not vision-related)
reason not expect it. Parents need to understand that no matter the
misconception of some others, blindness is not a cognitive impairment
and most every time there is a delay for a blind child, it is because
of lack of information for the child so the real goal is to compensate
with alternative teaching techniques and alternative skills for the
child. Delaying the techniques and alternative skills are what often
cause blind kids to start off playing "catch-up"-- at least that's
this parent's opinion.

Obviously networking with other parents through the NFB / NOPBC, and
this list as well as other local resources can also be a very helpful
thing. When our daughter was very young, we wanted to join a parent
group and there was none in our area-- at least none with philosophies
to suit us so we formed the Georgia division of the NOPBC. I presume
there is a similar story for most every state POBC that exists. Surely
it is possible without this, but I strongly suspect that most blind
kids who are highly successful are successful in part because their
parents have gotten involved with other parents and organizations like
ours.

Richard