[blindkid] swimming lessons

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jun 1 02:47:12 UTC 2010

Be aware and make the swim instructor aware that reluctance to put her head
in the water might be due in part to her ears filling with water and thereby
having her hearing and therefore her sense of dirrection severely limited
until she learns techniques for trailing a lane marker or the wall.  Also if
you will be inside, echoey pool rooms are horribly disorienting and loud, so
she might need smaller group lessons or one to one lessons if this becomes a
problem for her.  Try to embrace strokes like the doggy paddle or breast
stroke where her hands are always in front of her, so that she doesn't run
into the wall or a lane marker.  It won't hurt her badly, but if she is just
learning in deep water and bumps into something and loses her momentum and
starts to sink and panicks it could startle her very badly.  I have seen
that in a lot of blind children, who are progressing like pros, then
something like that happens and they back slide for a week or two's worth of
progress.  If she will be using some sort of bubble or floaties, be aware of
how they limit her ability to explore with her arms, as feeling constrained
might be problematic.  Most people naturally learn how not to get water up
their nose or in their eyes where it hurts like hell and can over time do
damage, but not being able to see a friend coming up to dunk you in play, or
not seeing a splash coming can foil this instinctual reaction, and therefore
it is important to watch her reactions and see if something like this is
happening before her reaction manifests as fear or anger.  I hope that
helps.  I'm sure you will both have a lot of fun.