[blindkid] recess and social interaction

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jun 1 12:43:29 UTC 2010

Agreed on the observation factor.  As her parent it is your right to come
and observe, and I think that might give you some ensights that would prove
helpful to your daughter and her teacher.  Mike, I know we have disagreed on
things in the past, but I can't tell you enough how much I agree with the
whole "I figured that if they didn't want to play with me, it was their
loss." thing.  It is so true.  Blind children, assuming no mental
retardation, are generally accademically advanced and often, because of
solving problems, they are more mature, and therefore, in those ways, a
treasure for their peers to interact with.  Having the assertive, but not
agressive, self confident, but not stuck up attitude of "I am worth
something, and if others don't see it, that is their problem, not mine." is
so crutial for their maintaining their self esteme long enough for their
peers to catch up.