[blindkid] Blind Camps

Susan Harper sueharper at firstchurchgriswold.org
Thu Jun 3 23:18:03 UTC 2010

You have to understand that the camps my children attended, they were
expected to do the same things their non handicapped peers were expected to
do, like set tables, clean up, help in the kitchen, arts and crafts,
archery, fishing, etc., all part of camp but things they would be learning
that they would not otherwise have an opportunity to do.  I am looking
forward to a time when my son with his visual impairment can make the most
of his summer camp.  My point is that there are many ways to learn and camp
is a fun adventure that will stay with the kids all of their lives and they
may make life long friends, as my son did.  All disabilities have their
challenges, which can be overcome with proper education and opportunities!
To all those attending camp, have a wonderful summer.

Our family will be embarking on a sabbatical in our RV, starting in Maine,
progressing to Canada, then to New York Niagra Falls, then across the
northeast, meandering down through the southern states and ending in in Key
West.  Keep us in your prayers for a safe journey.  The children and we are
so excited that this opportunity has presented itself.  It will be a time
for all of us to remember as a family!

Happy Trails everyone!
Blessings,
Sue H.