[blindkid] go for braille!

Merry-Noel Chamberlain owinm at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 10:52:32 UTC 2010

Doreen,
I second what Joy said about Braille.  Enlarging only can go so far.  It's great for the child to learn the shapes of print letters so they can read raised signs (ie:  Ladies, Men) but when it comes to learning and reading for pleasure - Braille is the answer!  If Braille becomes a part of the child's life early - it becomes a part of the child's life forever!  As a Teacher of Visually Impaired Children, I have had several older students move into my district who didn't know Braille and it is much harder 1) for them to learn it and 2) for them to accept it.  Often times, they would much rather lug a huge CCTV from classroom to classroom - NOT!  They end up having to go to a special room where their CCTV is located - leaving their classroom and peers in order to read an assignment.  Wouldn't it be better for the child to be able to stay with their peers?   Plus, as they are learning Braille (mostly because they have lost more vision and
 can't see the large print any more) they often fall behind and struggle to keep up with their peers.  The best gift you can give your child is the opportunity to learn Braille as soon as possible.  I sure wish I had that opportunity myself!  Frankly if I received a student who's IEP stated the child needed 26 point font - I would start teaching Braille RIGHT AWAY!

Merry-Noel