[blindkid] Wii Thoughts

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 00:23:19 UTC 2010

Your daughter doesn't find Braille fun, she finds reading fun.  A kid
doesn't find their cane fun, or no more so then a new pair of sneakers fun,
they find traveling fun.  That was my point on that score.  I think
simulators are great for things that it is difficult to get real world
experience in.  Micanical bulls are much friendlier and safer than the real
thing.  Training all astranauts in real space crafts would be too dangerous
and too expensive.  Same with training pilots.  The military has extensive
simulators for combat situations, simulating a juno walk is a great idea, as
it would not be practical to give every applicant to a guide dog school a
practice dog to test drive.  But a cane is easy to get, and if an instructor
is too lazy or too underconfident to not get their student, take them
outside and just go, then maybe they are in the wrong profession.

I disagree with this because of how it will detrement the perception of
blind people, and blind children.  There are so many convoluted ideas in the
TVI and O and M and special ed. text books as it is, that anything that is
extrainious or gives the wrong message is a very very bad thing.  Also, the
idea that walking in a strait line is all important is a problem.  If O and
M instructors are expecting this, then they are setting themselves up for
disapointment.  No blind person walks reliable strait lines, not me, not any
of my blind friends, not my mother, and I bet not Mike or Albert or any of
the other blind people on this list.  But, they and I have good map skills
and good cane skills so that when we drift we correct before it becomes a
problem and go on about our day.  The focus should be on listening to trafic
paterns, developing wrist strength, reading and understanding maps, using
GPS, using compases, following purely spoken or written dirrections, for
practice in situations when maps are not available, not walking a strait
line.  It is never going to happen, and if kids are so concerned with that,
they may get frustrated and give up, or fail to focus on the more important
things.  As parents, what you all think is important, but the blind
community will ultimately decide the fate of this, because even if sighted
parents and TVIs and blind schools grab these up, if blind people don't like
them, they will die out.  And, hell, the blind community might wind up
loving them, and the demand will grow, but the point is that it seems that
most of the blind people are the sceptical ones, and the sighted ones are
all for it.  I'm not saying that we shouldn't try it, I am just saying that
to me and to many blind people on many many forums and lists, it sounds
silly, stupid, pointless, weird, etc, others' words, not mine.  And, no I
did not take the email from this list to share it.  It has been circulating
on three different blind parenting lists I am on, one blind tech list, and
three forums, some of which are affiliated with NFB, some with AFB, some
with ACB and some are not affiliated with any of them, so this is not an
attitude spacific to one demographic of the blind population.