[blindkid] braille learning as fun!

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jun 9 02:34:52 UTC 2010

One thing that might apeal to him would be making each dot a different
colour, but consistant within each cell.  For instance, dot 1 is always red,
dot 2 is always blue, 3, green, 4 orange, 5, purple, 6 yellow, and places
where there are no dots, black rings, empty and white in the middle.  If he
is wanting to use his vision, you can encourage him to read Braille with his
eyes and fingers.  I was partially sighted, and I found it interesting to
look at Braille as well as feel it.  Labeling everything is a good idea, but
especially helpful would be play houses, castles, railroad sets, etc that
naturally have signs.  I.E. if you have toy trucks for him, have a toy stop
sign, and braille that.  If there is a jersey number on an action figure he
has of a football player, label that in braille, and so on and so forth.
It's good for him to learn print, so don't descourage that, but pear the
Braille with it as equally important.  For Jeremy at least, he has fun
picking out the braille letter tile to go with the cut out shaped print
letter magnits, and the sounds.  Describing braille letters to him in terms
of shapes might also be helpful if he is a visual learner, despite his
visual imparement.  For instance, W was never dots 2, 4, 5, 6 to me, it was
always a backwards R.  I would express the o u n d sign as a moved over K
and a d, as k is dots 1 3 and the part of the contraction proceeding the d
was 4 6.  Or, the lettersign was a lower moved over B to me.  It used to
piss off my vision teacher to no end, and had I had more confidence as a
child I would have told her to get over herself, as no student will always
think the same way the teacher does.  As a teenager, I made full use of my
vocabulary and put her in her place, explaining multiple intelligences and
learning styles to her, and she shut up, when I started using text books
intended for professional educators against her.  I digress.  Point being,
that maybe putting Braille letters in terms of shapes he sees everyday will
help.  L is a line, g is a square, or a two by two lego, and so on.  Words
will start to look like pictures to him.  For instance, the word ice looks
like a bridge with ramps at each end.  The word then when contracted looks
like a cat's eye.  the name andy looks like a box when contracted, and so on
and so forth.  You can hide words in pictures made on a braille writer.  Not
just randomly writing them inside of the picture, but using the letters to
make up the picture.  For instance, the checkers on a table cloth in a
picture could be alternating g no g g no g, the slope of the roof could be
Is going up on the left and Es going down on the right, and Cs going across
the top.  Where lines and shapes link up words could be formed.  If he is
into looking for artistic forms and is a visual learner, things like this
might be really appealing for him.  You could make word and letter searches
for him this way.  Also, scrabble boards and sudoku puzzle boards could be
fun places for him to play with the art as well as the function of letters.
One thing about print letters is that they can easily be made into three D
cut outs, whereas braille letters are harder to douplicate, as no print
letters, save lower case i have a seperate pen stroke anywhere in their
creation and can be made easily from one piece of wood or plastic, etc.
Braille letters such as K, U, M, X and so on are seperate groups of dots.
But a lot of them can be created with glued or screwed together wooden cubes
or lego blocks.  If he is a visual spacial learner then having him jump into
squares of a grid with the numbers of the dots, in the order to make a
braille letter might be fun, also having him and you and your partner, other
friends stand in squares to be the dots themselves might be fun.  Talk about
connections between how braille words look and what they mean.  For example,
a sighted child might think that the word snake looks snakey because the S
looks like a squiggly snake, or the word boo! has Os that look like the
shape your mouth makes when you are yelling boo.  If you are creative you
will think of things in braille that look that way.  For instance, the word
push looks like a crane and hook on the right hand end, and cranes push
things, or the word fox looks on the right like a pointed fox's head going
into an opening, like a hole, or the word screech looks like the two Es were
running and then screeched to a halt, like people lean when they stop
quickly.  If you don't know Braille you'll have to learn at least grade one,
but I and you might both not see some of the things in words that he sees in
words.  A lot of the meaning making must come from him, but playing with the
shapes might help.  Finally, let him play with the letters in space.  For
instance, he might turn words upside down or backwards to see if they mean
anything.  He nmight take the J in Jack and turn it in ninety degree
intervals to get hack and dack and fack, of course he will have to discard
non-words, but that is part of the proccess.  Have him flip Ms upside down
and turn them into Us and see how that changes words.  A lot of kids confuse
these letters, but a lot of research is finding that if you achnowledge
common tripping places early and encourage them to use compare and contrast,
that it will actually be easier down the road.  Hope that helps.