[blindkid] go for braille!

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Thu Jun 10 13:28:11 UTC 2010

Another important tactic, I believe, is to
acknowledge that yes, she does use her vision
quite well, doesn't she, and yes, we're very glad
she does have some useable vision; we are sure it
will serve her well.  However, for full literacy,
a full education, and a full life, she will need
to add some nonvisual skills for when her
impaired vision is not adequate or not efficient for the task.

This may help.

Re O&M techniques--it is my experience that kids
need to practice a lot between lessons.  THis is
where a trained para and the parents come in.  So
if she is to "master" the diagonal technique,
she'll need to use and practice it a lot between
lessons.  Personally, I would not expect a
preschooler to master much of anything--their
learning future is largely before them!  I would
go ahead and teach her constant contact with a
nice, light NFB cane (I think someone mentioned
you can get one free from the NFB).

My gut tells me not to wait till
October.  Doreen, will you be at convention this year?

Carol