[blindkid] never stands still

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Fri Jun 11 19:02:14 UTC 2010

Darian,

I think you're exactly right-- virtually all kids have this sort of
energy. The thing that comes up with blind children more often is that
some of them have more trouble finding enough safe-feeling ways to
release the energy which must go somewhere. No doubt, ANY child who
cannot (for whatever reason, it need not be vision-related) move and
jump and play as much as he or she feels compelled to is likely to
begin to express motion and release energy in socially undesirable ways.

My sighted kids can tear off and run and they're not afraid they'll
crash into a tree. Kendra won't do that, but she'll put that same
level of energy or excitement into jumping in a trampoline, swimming,
or any number of other "safe-feeling" activities. Something else I
didn't tie to this before-- back to the treadmill. Kendra is hesitant
to run across a field, no doubt she doesn't feel sure-footed enough
when running and/or she thinks she'll crash into something. However,
on a treadmill she will walk briskly or even sprint at times and she
loves it.

Richard

On Jun 11, 2010, at 11:55 AM, Darian Smith wrote:

> If I may-
>  I think (and I could be wrong) that it's really a matter of having
> alot of energy that needs to be expressed in some way.  getting your
> child to be activ with regards to running, playing in a playground
> withother kids  the child's age, swimming anything that will burn off
> that energy might help. II feel  pretty confident  that sighted
> children have just as much energy and run into the same things as
> well.
>  Just my thoughts and they are as valid are as invalid as youmay like
> to take them.
>  Best,
>  Darian
>
> On 6/10/10, Heather <craney07 at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
>> Jeremy twirls, but he does not do it for prolonged periods, and all
>> toddlers, sighted toddlers do that, although by three or four it does
>> usually decrease from what I have seen in the early childhood
>> field.  We
>> usually try to shape the spinning into something, I.E. Duck Duck
>> Goose going
>> in circles around one of us while we tap his head for ducks and
>> pick him up
>> and raspberry and tickle him for goose, and Ring Around the Rosey,
>> which
>> with only one child, is pretty much just spinning with a song and a
>> planned
>> fall down at the end.  Now he never spins without also singing the
>> song, so
>> I'm not terribly concerned.

>>> blindkid: