[blindkid] never stands still

Brandy W branlw at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 13 12:44:36 UTC 2010

My niece was spinning around with her doll yesterday. When she asked what
she was doing she said spinning because it is lots of fun. I think the
difference is she was deliberately playing and not supposed to be doing
something else or having a conversation with anyone. She was also engaging
in some dramatic play with her doll. Spinning on the tramp or in the pool
are all normal things. For me it is the random spinning at times in places
where it is not acceptable. I loved to spin as a child. My mom new nothing
about blind children and had little to know support than a teacher telling
her to make sure I did what normal kids and to make sure I didn't do
abnormal things. O I loved to spin as a kid and honestly when spinning a
child or something I still don't get dizzy. However my mom got me a sit and
spin much more fun back than for spinning, she allowed me to spin standing
listening to music and in my room. If I spun during other times when it
wasn't OK I was made to stop. I think it was wise on her part. She didn't
know to stop other behaviors but at lest she stopped this one. As for the
flapping it depends on this flapping. Is it in front of the face, is the
child holding on of his hands to flap it? Is it a quick flapping of the arms
or hands or does it continue. In general flapping is something that needs to
stop and most children don't do it. This is one of those behaviors that can
become a very socially inappropriate problem if it isn't stopped.

Bran

"Families that play together learn together!"
Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Educational Leader
Check out our new spring line perfect for spring time learning and Easter
baskets and more...
www.playtoachieve.com
(512) 689-5045

Discovery Toys wants to be a part of your family's learning success and here
are a few ways we can help:
* Join my team and receive 18 award winning products for $125
* Host a fun get together with friends and earn free Educational products,
* Purchase award winning educational materials on my webpage,
* Purchase or get free gift baskets for children of all ages