[blindkid] never stands still

Brandy W branlw at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 13 13:36:37 UTC 2010

Hi,
Sorry if I wasn't clear with my response. I very very much agree with the
type of activities he provides for his daughter, but up to 4 or more hours
jumping seems a bit much. Other activities should be developed, but after
reading his other posts I see he does these other things. It also sounds
that his daughter is able to be appropriate when it is necessary. I think
the aspect of my message I didn't make clear is the progression. Provide the
age appropriate activity so the inappropriate behavior doesn't begin, and
then change the activity as the child grows. In a few years jumping 4 hours
a day is not exactly what another 10 year old would do. Yes jumping with
friends
or for small bits for energy sure, but for the long run encouraging the
running on the treadmill he has said she loves is an activity she can take
on
into adult life. Learning to run on the treadmill may be able to translate
to running on a track team, swimming lessons may translate in to being on
the swim team, and even Gymnastics can be a sport when can do well as a
blind individual. These are activities that can travel well past school and
into community teams. As a young child a child needs to know when I feel
like I need to spin or jump I am allowed to go do what ever the family has
decided to be OK, but as the child grows they more need to schedule it into
their day instead of being so spiratic. If a child has a friend over and
suddenly decides they need to go bounce this would not be socially
appropriate unless the friend would also like to jump or spin. I'm just
trying to express the importance for keeping the activities age appropriate
and socially appropriate, and the best way to do this is to always be
thinking of the next step in a child's development.

As for the being rude, never meant anyone was letting their child be rude,
but making sure one isn't excusing the behavior of spinning while being
spoken to as well she needs that extra movement. As if a child isn't
explained this young as in you may go spin on your bored after we finish
talking you get kids like a child I went to school with who spin in the
middle of a class presentation and had never been told this was wrong.

I like he insists she continues to develop age appropriate social skills and
not excusing the additional movement during times that it would not be O.K.
for his other children.

Prepping is also good. We are about to go on a long car ride so why don't
you go jump for a while. Then the adult can feel comfortable not allowing
flapping, rocking eye rubbing o any other unacceptable behavior on the car
trip. Seems harsh, but there are simply times when all children and adults
don't get to express that energy. As I've said before I still need a lot of
movement! I walk, swim, stretch, sit on a ball instead of a chair (in my own
home.) but when I travel I don't always get those needs met, and let me say
it isn't easy, but the learning curve as an adult has been rough. I
definitely see the awful behaviors try to come back during stressful times,
or times when I'm sick, or otherwise can't get the extra imput. I agree it
is something to do with us not getting the visual imput, and not being to
easily get the same activities so readily as others. I love riding bikes,
but can't do it often, and o to go have a good run when I'm upset, but it
takes so much more coordination in schedules than being able to go do it.
This is why I stress the change in availability and options as a child ages.

Hope this helps and makes more since. I'm passionate about this because I
have struggled my whole life with this stuff, and wish people would have
done this for myself. I also tutor and baby-sit for a living, and I can't
even begin to tell you the outlandish behaviors I see in children of all
ages that weren't stopped because parent's just excused it.

Bran

"Families that play together learn together!"
Brandy Wojcik
Discovery Toys Educational Leader
Check out our new spring line perfect for spring time learning and Easter
baskets and more...
www.playtoachieve.com
(512) 689-5045

Discovery Toys wants to be a part of your family's learning success and here
are a few ways we can help:
* Join my team and receive 18 award winning products for $125
* Host a fun get together with friends and earn free Educational products,
* Purchase award winning educational materials on my webpage,
* Purchase or get free gift baskets for children of all ages