[blindkid] one good eye

Merry-Noel Chamberlain owinm at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 14:22:02 UTC 2010

Carol,
As a general rule - students who have one good eye and one bad eye do not receive VI services - HOWEVER, they may get a 504 plan for special seating to help accommodate their good eye.  For example, if their right eye is their good eye, then they may set to the left side of the board so they can use their better right eye and not have to turn their head so much causing undue neck strain to not only look at the board but also to look around the classroom.  Also, they may have some problems with depth perception when it comes to catching balls in P.E. and batting balls.  These are known as reasonable accommodations.

Generally a child is eligible for VI services when they are considered legally blind.  A person is considered legally blind if their visual acuity is less than 20/200 in the better eye with correction or if they have a field loss of less than 20 degrees (both eyes combined) regardless of their visual acuity.

Hope this helps.

Merry-Noel Chamberlain (TVI and O&M)