[blindkid] chatting and JAWS

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sun Mar 7 15:25:03 UTC 2010

Our Daughter, Kendra has a great interest in on-line chatting. She's a
bit young for that (first grade) but I have no problem with the
concept of supervised chatting with select friends and family. She
hears about it all the time, she should learn about it (in a safe way).

The problem is that all the e-chatting we do in our house is pretty
much on facebook. I have heard of facebook issues for JAWS users but
never tried to explore it before. I tried last night. What a mess.
JAWS was just spewing talk nonstop about all sorts of links-- hundreds
of links and seemingly randomly jumping from one thing to the next--
there seems no way to get JAWS into the chat window or at least to
stay there-- I did hear it read a little bit of a chat dialogue once
but it jumped somewhere else after only a few words were read.

So I have two main questions-- 1) Is there a usable facebook solution
that will let the chat work reasonably well with chatting, and 2) what
other sorts of internet chat options seem to work better with JAWS?

Thanks,

Richard