[blindkid] BrailleLite vs. BrailleNote

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Mar 9 03:24:06 UTC 2010

Gina:

The Braille Lite, while still available, is relatively old technology. To
interface with a computer, it requires a serial port -- something relatively
rare on computers these days. If you don't have a serial port, a
USB-to-Serial converter will sometimes work. To exchange files between the
Braille Lite and computer, you willl need to run WinDisk on the PC or PCDISK
in a DOS box (the Windows command line interface).

I'm not sure whether a Braille Note can be used as a braille display on a
computer or not; files are exchanged with a computer using Windows
ActiveSync.

In any event, whether you can input to the computer using braille with
either device and whether braille is displayed from the computer in Grade 2
are both determined by the computer screen-reading program and what braille
displays (if any) it handles; this is not a function of the Braille Lite or
Braille Note directly.

The newest Braille Note is the Braille Note Apex; you'll have to ask
HumanWare whether it can be used as a computer braille display and, if so,
what screen-readers support it.

Mike Freeman