[blindkid] talking to a child about blindness

Debby B bwbddl at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 12:29:36 UTC 2010

When Winona (blind) joined our family, she was 3, as was our son (sighted). We'd talked about the fact that Winona would use her hands and ears to "see" as we prepared him for her arrival. After she came we simply continued that type of talk. "Let Winona hold it so she can see it."

And we were sure to include things like, "good listening, Winona! Glad you heard that for me." to go along with the typical "glad you saw that, Daniel, I missed it."

I think, bottom line, treating her like normal is best. We've explained to Winona that she was born so early her eyes weren't ready to see things, but her hands and ears are SHARP! (She always found hiders in hide-n-seek!)

 Debby
bwbddl at yahoo.com