[blindkid] Convention for Kids

Lenora J. Marten bluegolfshoes at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 15:29:17 UTC 2010

Holly,

National Convention can be overwhelming for him and for you. There is so much to do, so many
people to meet and you will want to fit it all in. Most importantly, its an empowering experience
for both of you that will send you home energized and full of knowledge!

The first thing I did was print out all the agendas. NFB National, NOPBC, and kids. There is also
a 'first timers guide' on the national website. Eric had his copy and I had mine. I bought him one of
those binders with the sleeve on the top so that he could design his own cover. We did all of this
together, marking sections with sticky tabs. I then highlighted both copies showing where I would
be and where he would be at different times. That way, he knew where to find me and I knew where
to find him. Plus, as we were going over the agenda, we were able to find some times to rest and
unwind.

Although Eric was 14 at the time, quite a bit older than your son, it really helped him to
know what to expect. Additionally, as soon as we got to the hotel and had dropped off our
bags, we took ourselves on a tour. I had previously printed off a copy of the hotel map and
while he couldn't see the printed copy, he was able to look at it on his CCTV and with his
magnifier. We spent about two hours getting comfortable with the hotel and our surroundings.

Most of my friends found it quite comical, when on the second day, I was the one who got
lost. I called Eric on his cell phone and asked if he remembered where the room was. When
I told him where I was, he said "Mom. You'll never find it. Stay where you are. I'm coming to
get you." So, my son, who uses a cane and has 20/1200 vision, came to rescue his Mom.

Last year, for all ages, there was a braille carnival, chemistry experiments,
drawing class, fitness class, cane walk, braille music plus lots more! The kids don't have
to sit through seminars with parents. Some parents have their kids sit in general session
during the state roll call and/or during times where subjects of interest are being discussed.
I'm not remembering that we skipped anything. Scheduling our 'down time' helped a lot
with that.

Eric would be more than happy to talk to Hank about convention and what to expect.
I also know of another family going for the first time, their kids are 10, 12 and 16. I'll
send you the contact info off list.

Hope all of this helps....

Lenora
bluegolfshoes at aol.com