[blindkid] Why Do You Want to Make that Child Blind?

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Mon Mar 22 11:44:13 UTC 2010

Hi Marie (yes, you may call me Carol!),

Thanks for the kind words.  I feel really strongly about the
subject--as do many Federation members--as I truly get call after
call from parents whose children are kept from learning the very
skills that would enable them to lead independent lives.  Just a few
days ago, there was another such situation.  The child is being
taught braille now--after "flunkiing" kindergarten--but the parents
have been told no, he doesn't need a cane.  You can predict what is
going to happen.  He is already using his foot as a feeler on stairs
and when it is bright or dark in a room or outside.  He will reach
the age that most kids learn to cross streets and that will be
delayed.  He will become a pre-adolescent and will not be able to go
out at night with friends--he'll be embarrassed because he can't walk
at night independently and believe me, a bunch of boys will not want
a guy holding onto them all evening.  And then someone will say, gee,
maybe he ought to have a cane.  He'll be thirteen or fourteen or
fifteen and guess what, shocking, he won't want to have anything to
do with one.    then the "experts" will tell us, nope, kids just
don't like canes.

Ugh.

Carol

Carol Castellano, President