[blindkid] transcribing time

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 30 05:05:22 UTC 2010

Hi Joy,
My boys are in second & seventh grade.
This still happens to us from time to time; no system is perfect.
But to have this happening consistently is a huge concern.
Have you identified which step in the process is the problem?
At different timepoints over the years, we have identified different
problem/rate limiting steps.
We have found that certain teachers need to be reminded from time to time
that the materials need to be turned in ahead of time.
The TVI needs to be in communication with the classroom teacher(s).
It usually takes about a month at the beginning of the school year to get
the process down each year.

We have always requested both an early school year IEP meeting AND an
additional end-of-the-year IEP meeting to sum up how the year went & to
prepare for the following year.
Once the next year's teacher is identified, the TVI meets with them &
requests that they provide the bulk of the handouts & worksheets that would
typically be used by that teacher the following year. All that gets brailled
& modified over the summer & is delivered to the teacher at the beginning of
the school year.
That way it reduces the load fort he braillist during the year.
Here they would really like things a week ahead of time, though they have
recently been pretty good about accommodating shorter turn-around requests.
We still get print/non-accessible stuff from time to time. When it happens
more regularly, we speak up & things generally re-set & get done in
relatively timely fashion again.
If this is a regular problem, then is may be well worth calling together an
IEP meeting to address workflow & expectations & to personalize this by
focusing on the impact on the child (guilt can do wonders), or it may be
helpful to meet with the head of special ed in the district or the head of
the VI program.
Best wishes,
Eric V