[blindkid] Youth Disability Advocates Needed! Open Hand "Youth Ability Summit"

Carlton Anne Cook Walker attorneywalker at gmail.com
Sat May 15 16:02:47 UTC 2010

FYI.  I got this froma fellow Federationist, and I thought some of our
students might be interested.  I apologize if the information has already
been posted. [I'm woefully behind in my listservs.]

Take care,

Carlton

Youths aged 12-21 who we are interested in creating international change for
peers with disabilities through human rights advocacy and cutting-edge
awareness raising techniques are invited to apply to attend the Open Hands
“Youth Ability Summit” in Damascus, Syria August 1-3 2010. Those selected
will receive a free, round-trip ticket from anywhere in the continental U.S.
and full accommodations to attend the Summit.

At the Summit, participants will work together with Syrian youth involved in
disability rights advocacy to share our cultures and perspectives, learn
about the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities,and to
create an action-packed, youth-centered global awareness campaign. Attending
the conference in Damascus will also provide a unique opportunity to
experience one of the world’s oldest continuously-inhabited cities.
Damascus, renowned as a major cultural center of the Middle East, was chosen
as the 2008 Arab Capital of Culture and boasts some of the finest
antiquities and historical sites in the region. Syria is an extremely safe
tourist destination, with no petty crime.

The Youth Ability Summit is being organized by the Open Hands Initiative,
dedicated to improving people-to-people understanding by emphasizing our
basic shared values and common humanity and the Victor Pineda Foundation, an
educational non-profit organization that promotes the rights and dignities
of young people with disabilities.

*Open Hands “Youth Ability Summit” *

Apply at:
http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/291837/Open-Hands-Youth-Ability-Summit

*Applications must be received by May 21, 2010 *

Questions? Contact Rachel Walsh, Open Hands Initiative, 917-544-7260

**please note that all participants can be accompanied by one
guest/parent/or guardian. All travelers must have a valid U.S. Passport that
does not expire within 6-months of the date of travel. *

--
Carlton Anne Cook Walker
105 Creamery Road