[blindkid] High School

Heather craney07 at rochester.rr.com
Tue May 18 19:39:06 UTC 2010

Interesting to hear from everyone regarding this issue.  When I was in high
school, I was pretty much done with Braille and O and M and adaptive tech.
I already knew all of my routes to school, the mall, Eastman, home, grocery
store, parks, theatres and shops and restaurants down town, how to order
cabs, get city bus schedules and book para transit rides and I had a cane
and a guide dog, so I didn't have to waste time during my school day with
that.  If I needed spacific O and M help with a new area I would have a
sighted friend go with me while Brittany and I worked it, so that if we got
lost or confused they could explain the problem, but at that point, I could
take her almost anywhere new to both of us and we could have fun figuring it
out together.  I know some blind people aren't like that.  One of my best
friends is super intelligent, more so than I, in many areas, especially
accademic ones, and she is a very compitant guide dog handler, but she isn't
the type who finds enjoyment in striking out on her own for parts pretty
much unknown.  I mean, if she needed to walk to a hospital, clinic or drug
store because of a pressing medical concern, she could and would figure it
out, but she wouldn't randomly walk down a street of small shops and
restaurants, popping her head into each one and enquiring which store she
was in, or get basic dirrections from a restaurant employee over the phone,
then head out to find it.  When I did need O and M, like for a three mile
round trip walk involving a padestrian bridge over the expressway I called
the guide dog school or contracted through CBVH, no public school or Boces
was involved at all.  I Had a moderate to fast Braille reading speed, knew
Nemith, knew grades 1 and 2, didn't need 3, and had no one available locally
who was qualified to teach me Braille Music, which I did actually need, so
there was no reason for me to get Braille instruction in highschool.  I had
nemith tables to look up symbols I didn't recognize and that was it.  I saw
my TVI maybe once every 2 weeks, and saw an O and M instructor 2 or 3 times
a year.  For adaptive Tech, I had surpassed both the abilities and
qualifications, as well as the patience and energy of our local adaptive
tech instructor, so I went to other very tech savvey blind friends and peers
for any support I needed with my PC or Braillenote, or I consulted the
mannuel or contacted their customer service.  I had an "aid" who I was quick
to explain to her and to all of my teachers, was really a materials
preparation assistant, as she could scan and prepare tests, or coordinate
with the volinteer brailleists, but I prepared most of my own materials from
teachers, from emails, disks, thumb drives, SD cards or print coppies that I
scanned then either embossed or saved in electronic format.  In most cases,
if I wanted it done, I or my mother had to do it, or at least show the "aid"
or teacher, how to do it.  I know it doesn't help at this point for those
with kids already in highschool and I know that it will very from situation
to situation, and based on the kid, their intelligence, their degree of
independence and the climate of the school district that they are in, but my
advice to parents of kids not yet in highschool would be, get it out of the
way by nineth or at the latest tenth grade, so they don't have to waste time
on blindness related things, at the expense of accademic, social, athletic
or artistic activities.  If they have mastered the three skill areas enough
to do any touch-up or additional work on weekends, or in short periodic
sessions, it will make their socialization much easier.  I did my Gym,
swimming laps at the YMCA,  which was right across the street from Eastman,
and I made up my own highschool schedules with the guidance counsilor.  I
would ask for her suggestions, and hear my mom's opinions, but I ultimately
made all of my own decissions, most of which were good, a few of which were
bad and a few of which were nutral, in terms of results.  I was sick of
doing stupid adaptive PE, which consisted of either playing katch with an MR
girl or walking laps around our huge school, by nineth grade, and I called
local Gyms and dance schools, gymnastics clubs, etc and came in with a four
page typed letter for the principal, PE teacher and guidance counsilor
demanding that my PE requirement either be dropped, or that I be allowed to
do something more meaningful with my time.  They granted my request, and
swimming it was.  This is in no way meant to put down any of your kids.  I
am way ahead of some of them in some independence skills, or at least my
self at that age, compared to them at that age, but in other areas they are
light years ahead of me at their age then I was at their age, for instance,
I didn't really push for the Braille music, learning by ear, and got tripped
up and quit the Music Education program at Crane, when I found that higher
level music theory was simply not possible without good braille music
skills.  Many of your teenagers don't yet have guide dogs, but they march in
marching bands, something that I can't imagine myself having done, despite a
desire to.  So, I guess there are trade offs.  Ok, that was a ramble, but
hopefully some of you can find some useful information or ideas in there.
Have a good day all.