[blindkid] braille music notation?

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Fri May 28 20:36:25 UTC 2010

As a child, I learned Braille music in the 60's. I didn't really use it much
once I grew up. However, my daughter Aubrie, a blind 13 year old, was
forced, by me, to learn Braille music. We borrowed the "An Introduction To
Music: A course in Braille Music Reading," by Richard Taesch, from the music
division of NLS. We didn't get too far and although she had been taking
violin for several years, we didn't actually use the Braille music for that
instrument. She was going into fifth grade and when she was in sixth grade,
she took band and started playing the flute. The TVI ordered the book that
the teacher requested in Braille and with what I had helped her learn and
the tips included in the book by the transcriber, she had no problem
learning to read what she needed to learn to play. Now, after three years of
band, she is able to look at the music in class and pretty much play along
with the other students as they go through the pieces. Now, of course, she
probably doesn't get everything perfect the first time through but I'm
guessing that a few of the other students don't either. I will say, however,
that with a few run throughs, she gets the notes perfect and no one has to
either record or read any notes to her. After seeing her do this, I am a
complete believer in Braille music. If music is extremely difficult, then
hearing it can help but if you can read it as weel, you can pick up so much
more about the dynamics and spacific notes. In fact, we just found a Juliet
embosser on Ebay and will probably by the Goodfill program at some point.
The woman who transcribes music for school is able to email music back to be
embossed and she is very reasonable with her prices. I say, go for the
Braille music. Oh, one other thing, we also bought the print copy of the
programs mentioned above. With this book, you could easily teach your son
what he needs to know, especially if he had the Braille copy. Hope that
helps. Call or write me off list if you have more questions.
Sincerely,
Bonnie Lucas
770-992-0484