[blindkid] preschool

EMMOL at aol.com EMMOL at aol.com
Mon May 31 09:17:31 UTC 2010

Julie,
Our son attended a mainstream preschool as a three year old and continued
as a four year old.
The program was two mornings a week for three year olds and three morning
for four year olds.
The Teacher of the Visually Impaired pushed in to the class as did O&M
(Not at the same time.)
The summer before he began we would meet the O&M outside the school and
"work" the playground and walkways etc. so that he could travel safely.
(Patrick  is totally blind and a cane user.) As there was a major construction
project  that had been delayed we had difficulty getting into the building to
learn the  new set up until right before the year began.
He was the only child with an identified disability. It was a great
experience for all! I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might  have.
Although he is finishing his junior year of high school, my memories of
those years stand out! It was a happy time, although I was a nervous mom when
he began preschool so many years ago!
Eileen

Hi,
My husband and I are gong to be attending out daughters first IEP  meeting
next month. Our daughter will be 3 in July and will be starting  preschool
in the fall. Since we are new to all this, I was wondering if I could  ask
for advise, suggetions, things I need to know, things I need to ask, etc.  Any
advise would be welcomed! How many of you had your children attend
mainstream preschool and how many had your child attend a special preschool for  VI
kids. What are the pros and cons of both? Thank you so much,  I really
learn a lot from you guys!
Julie