[blindkid] Questions about rulers and perpetual calendars

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Nov 2 18:02:25 UTC 2010

Hi,

Check out the rulers that the American Printing House for the blind has at

http://www.aph.org

as one of them does have markings for 1/8-inch measurements.  Most of us learn that 1/16 inch is exactly half way between the 1/8-inch markings and ca
do pretty well without having a specific 1/16-inch marking.  For example, half way between the 3/8-inch point and the 1/2-inch point is 7/16.  To some
degree, this is actually easier than trying to count 1/16-inch lines.  I believe that some of the metal tape rulers have either 1/16 markings on the first few
inches or have a short ruler attached with such markings.

Could you explain what a perpetual calendar is?

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 10:37:25 -0400, Wendy Molle wrote:

>Hi!
>    As part of our 4th grade math curriculum, our students need to use rulers that go down to 16ths of an inch AND perpetual calendars.  Does anyone
know where we can locate Braille versions of these?
>     We and our TVI have not been able to find anything.  We tried to make a ruler, but with no success.  When we tried to type in the perpetual calendar
to emboss it, it got all garbled and unusable.  Although I am sure it could be sorted out, it would be very time-consuming.  We are hoping that someone
knows where we can purchase one.