[blindkid] Disneyworld

holly miller hollym12 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 19:34:13 UTC 2010

This site gives a good explanation of a Guest Assistance Card and how to get
one
http://www.diz-abled.com/Disney-Resources/Articles/Disney-Guest-Assistance-Cards.htm

We made a quick one day visit there this summer, we were in FL for family
stuff and couldn't resist popping in. Hank had a great day.  Staff members
were nice but in a normal nice way.  A few times I was asked if Hank needed
help but it was very subtle, they didn't make a big deal about it.  We only
used the card twice, when there were long lines that didn't have shade (Hank
has Albinism)  It allowed us to use the fastpass line w/out actually having
a fast pass.  It does not put you automatically in front of everyone else
(nor should it!)

The staff was very kind when I somehow managed to knock Hank's cane out of
the car in the middle of the buzz lightyear ride.
They were able to retrieve it immediately and with smiles.

While waiting for it,  I noticed his prescription sunglasses that had been
hooked on the neck of my tshirt were also gone (presumably fell when I was
franticly trying to grab the disappearing cane) a super sweet
cast member insisted on walking us to the nearest gift shop and gave him a
pair of Disney sun glasses.
I tried to tell her it was not necessary as the whole thing was entirely due
to my carelessness but she wouldn't take no for an answer.  Unfortunately
his sunglasses never turned up in lost & found but with something that
small, I imagine they could have fallen into a hard to find place and I
didn't expect them to put on an exhaustive search.

In my defense it was the first ride of the day and the first time we've been
to an amusement park with a cane.  I told Hank to let me hold the cane &
glasses to keep them safe.  Yes, he razzed me a LOT over that LOL! After
that, I let him handle it himself like I should have done from the start.
 He did much better than I did :smile

Holly