[blindkid] Modified NFB cane

Marie empwrn at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 4 12:29:41 UTC 2010

Jack keeps having issues with essentially not using his cane on surfaces with lots of cracks and grooves particularly grassy areas. I wrote to the list about trying a different kind of tip. We were saddened to realize that we could not just try a tip and would have to get a whole different kind of cane. We decided to stick with the NFB cane we knew to be reliable and sturdy. Then yesterday I had a little brainstorm. We don't want to add extra weight to the tip just something to make it smoother to navigate cracks, bumps, and grooves. BUT we did not want to lose feedback either. My husband cut a small slit in one of those thin plastic ball pool balls. You know, the kind you buy in a bag a hundred at a time? We push the metal tip through the slit. Jack did a bit better keeping his tip on the ground and less up in the air. We'll see how this works. If it doesn't work, it has cost us um, let's see....nothing because we already had the balls.

Marie (mother of Jack born May 2005)
See glimpses of life with my determined son who is developing in his own way at his own time at http://allaccesspasstojack.blogspot.com