[blindkid] Changing school districts

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 23:41:38 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

I am in a bit of a quandary as to what to do. My husband is very likely to
be transferred to another state. I have done some checking with the district
that my daughter would be attending and discovered that although the
district has BrailleNotes for their blind students, they would not have a 32
cell BN as they are already in use by other high school students. In the
brief conversation with the program director, she informed me that my
daughter would have to use an 18 cell device as that is all they have at
this time. She said that when one of the other students graduates, (did not
say when that would happen), then a 32 cell would be available. Because we
are still in the first semester and are hoping to have her start school at
the beginning of the second quarter, I am a little concerned that going back
to an 18 cell might be really a pain for a student who does a lot of reading
and is in honor classes.

I don't want to come across as a demanding parent before we get there, but,
I want to be able to explain the importance of having a 32 cell for my
daughter. If anyone has some ideas about how to start off on the right foot
and still receive this important device, I'd sure appreciate knowing what
you would do in this situation. Thanks in advance for any ideas you might
have.