[blindkid] Explaining blindness to a child

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Fri Sep 17 03:57:24 UTC 2010

Hi Dina,

Altho this is not our family's experience (our daughter has been
blind almost since birth), we have heard and seen that the kids
adjust pretty quickly.  I think the key is discovering that blind
people can get an education, go to college, get a job, have a
family--basically have a normal life.  Then the next thing is to
learn about the techniques blind people use to accomplish tasks.

If you and your family find out about the abilities of blind people
and can learn positive language with which to speak about blindness,
then you will be able to help your nephew make the adjustment and
still feel whole and complete as a person.

Check out Good Stories in the Information about Blindness section of
www.blindchildren.org.  I think you will enjoy it.

Carol

Carol Castellano
973-377-0976