[blindkid] Rolling tip

H. Field missheather at comcast.net
Wed Sep 22 00:52:14 UTC 2010

Hello Marie,
In my experience as a blind person and an educator of young blind
children I have always found the NFB canes to be best for little ones
as they are so sensitive with the metal tip and are also light. They
work well for constant contact and lots of adults use a combination of
constant contact and tap-tap. I would get Jack a cane that comes up to
his forhead. This means that he will have plenty of warning when his
cane tip touches something and, I have found, that when boys learn
they have plenty of stopping time they tend to move about more
quickly. Also, the length will mean that he can use his cane with a
relaxed right arm down by his hip and will still have plenty of length
to ensure that he is able to cover his body width. It will also mean
that you won't have to get a new cane quite so soon.

I personally don't walk around with my arm in front of my stomach and
trying to swing a cane from the middle of my body. This is incredibly
uncomfortable and inevitably the cane gets caught on something and
pokes one in the stomach. If one hurries about like I do such pokes
are extremely hard and uncomfortable. I use my cane by my right side
much as you are reporting Jack likes to do. There is much debate "in
the field" about O&M for children but much of it is based on people's
personal opinion and I'm not aware of any well controlled,
longitudinal studies which have examined the effects of various early
cane type or technique on the adult mobility of functionally blind
cane users. As a blind person I consider myself the expert on what
things work for me personally. I would encourage you to watch what
works for Jack (within age-appropriate norms) and just give him plenty
of opportunities to develop independent, self-initiated confident
movement.

Some folks like the rolling tips for young dchildren as they are
heavier and tend to keep the cane on the ground more. However, they
are nowhere near as sensitive in terms of the feedback they give a
cane user and, in my experience, it has been better simply to teach
the child to keep their cane on the ground and let them get all the
added feedback from the metal tip. Again, I'm sure there are those who
will disagree with me but, I have found, most of them are sighted and
do not use a cane to make their way through a tactile world where the
smallest amount of extra information can make the hugest difference.

You can get a free cane for Jack every 6 months from the NFB website.
I would encourage you to go ahead and get him a new, light, long cane
there. You could also get him the other type and give him experience
with both. However, I wouldn't let him make the choice yet as to which
cane he used exclusively. He is too young to realise all the info his
roller tip cane isn't give him. Instead give him opportunities to use
both.

I wouldn't fret about not having an O&M instructor; being mobile and
oriented as a blind person moving through the world is 90% confidence
and belief in one's self and 10% skills. I've never had a formal O&M
lesson in my life and I'm am a confident and competent traveller.

Happy trails with your young, cane-wielding adventurer.

Warmly,

Heather