[blindkid] Stages of cane use?

Merry-Noel Chamberlain owinm at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 00:47:36 UTC 2011

Marie,
Has Jack ever had O&M without using his eyes; aka using sleepshades?  Perhaps I would try that.  If wearing shades is difficult for him - locate a dark room (a room that has no windows) and shut off the lights.  Sometimes I use a school gym.  I will play games in the gym such as Red-light, Green-Light with no light on.  We practice running in there, too.  This builds some confidance in the cane.  Also, tell Jack he needs to hold his head up when he walks because that is the proper posture.  By wearing sleep-shades he learns the cane lets him know things such as curbs and stairs.  Prase him (or the cane - smile) when you notice that his cane found something that his feet didn't find.  Walking faster helps quite a bit.
Merry-Noel