[blindkid] Previous emails about sighted music teachers working with blind kids

aphelps at bism.org aphelps at bism.org
Mon Apr 11 21:41:18 UTC 2011

If someone can forward them to me offline. aphelps at bism.org

From: Richard Holloway <rholloway at gopbc.org>
Sender: <blindkid-bounces at nfbnet.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 17:02:49
Subject: Re: [blindkid] Stages of cane use?

Absolutely an excellent choice-- the NFB cane. The one piece canes are strong and lightweight. Excellent tactile feedback. Crisp "click" for echolocation. I think many of us on this list would agree that they're the best solution available, PLUS you can get them free as often as every six months through the NFB.

I think the guideline is to measure to the height of her nose from the ground and get the closest size to that. It may seem long compared to other canes and guidelines but it works really well at that length. (Official NFB guideline is actually user height minus 8 inches, but I think that is for adults-- kids may end up more like height minus 6 inches? Again, usually to the nose is about right.)

Free cane link is here:
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/Free_Cane_Program.asp

Richard