[blindkid] School Programs for 3 Year Old Student in Texas

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Tue Apr 12 02:43:35 UTC 2011

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the list!

One thing I would do is this--as you visit the various classrooms,
see if you can picture your son in that room joining in activities
and taking part in the school day.  I found that helpful when we were
looking at preschools for our daughter.

Another factor to look at is what is emphasized in the
classroom.  For example, we saw rooms where the children were being
taught to be be quiet and sit still.  This would not have been right
for our child who needed encouragement to move around and be curious
and active.

Expectations are important, as others have said.  You--and the
teachers--should expect your son to participate in all classroom
activities.  Teachers may need to learn how to adapt lessons and
materials so that your son can be included in all activities
throughout the school day.  If he cannot do this independently yes,
the team needs to think in terms of facilitating the development of
age-appropriate independence.  If he has serious delays or multiple
disabilities, you can think of this as "stage-appropriate" independence.

Hope this helps.

Carol

Carol Castellano
Director of Programs