[blindkid] Stages of cane use?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Apr 12 03:01:23 UTC 2011

Very true, and it still goes on from what I understand. I know that we met with HEAVY resistance over our daughter's using an actual cane as opposed to a so-called "pre-cane-device" when working with a local center for the blind. (This would have been about seven years ago-- mid 2004.) I thought (and continue to think) very highly of that center which works with the blind from newborns clear through to adults, but we absolutely went to WAR over the cane issue.

We were told what many people have heard: kids need to be able to understand the concept of using a cane before they try so they don't have to "un-learn" bad habits. I think that sounds rather convincing for about 5 or 10 seconds, but then I take pause and realize that sighted kids don't "understand" walking at first either. Who exactly tells parents of SIGHTED children to stop them from trying to walk until THEY fully understand the concept? That isn't how learning works in ANY early development concept of which I'm aware, and I'm fully convinced it has nothing to do with walking with a cane. Parents who are new to this situation (at least from what I recall) may tend to think they are waiting for some professional-- (maybe a doctor?) to "prescribe" a cane. It doesn't work that way of corse, but how would they know? And it isn't like there is a white cane department at Wal-Mart. Doctors rarely (if ever) are going to tell parents to go and get a white cane for their child. Many vision centers, by-and-large, tend to delay suggesting canes early on. Many O&M instructors in schools are slow to get canes into young kids hands as well. I know of cases where they have also brought canes for O&M lessons but taken them away between lessons to control the canes and insure they are being used (and learned about) properly.

This is no exaggeration-- in our situation at the local center they literally took every other parent in our daughter's class aside when she was around 18 months old and told them that they objected to use of a cane for a child so young as ours. They told these parents that they were supporting our specific wishes AGAINST their better judgement. (Meanwhile my wife and I were distributing free NFB canes to all the other kids in the class we could behind the scenes, so to speak.)

If any of you are not aware, "pre-cane-devices" are generally little PVC trapezoids with the narrow end at the top (where it is held) and the wide end at the bottom. Larger PVC rollers are typically added on the bottom (big pipe around small) and allegedly assist the walker with forward liner motion. In fact, I'll agree they probably do that. Unfortunately, they also are heavy and cumbersome. (Compare the weight to a fiberglass NFB cane I'd estimate it is at least 10x the weight, probably more.) The devices generally cause children to lean forward, creating posture issues, and let's face it, the last thing we need to do is encourage blind kids to look down all the time, right? How many of us are constantly trying to get kids with little or no vision to sit straight and keep their face looking forward (so to speak). These devices prevent in-step motion with the hands which we all need to develop. They occupy both hands as well and they are entirely useless for navigating stairs, needing to be carried by an adult or hoisted onto the child's shoulder as they attempt to traverse a staircase. I'd also suggest they make a child stand out a lot more than a cane. There may be cases where some small percentage of blind kids benefit from such devices, but I don't believe there are many cases where children, at least children with blindness as their sole impairment, need to use pre-cane-devices over a white cane. I say, if you feel you need something like that for a very young child, give them a push toy that is fun and age appropriate and can serve the same purpose. If they can move about with a toy shopping cart in front of them, they'll be ready for a cane soon enough instead. Besides, they can explore with a cane when just standing or even sitting down as well. Very early cane use is as much about extending a blind child's reach and world as it is about learning to walk effectively.

"Old school" O&M practices would have the general public as well as the blind population believe they know all the answers and there is some "secret formula" involved in teaching cane travel, especially to small children. I have huge respect for many in the O&M profession, but the ones I respect the most are the ones who realize that since traditional O&M was developed as a model for rehabilitation of previously sighted adults who had lost their vision in World War II, some adaptations may be appropriate in the teaching method needed for use with children, especially when they are very young and have had little if any vision ever.  (Not that I have a strong opinion on the matter or anything like that, LOL...)