[blindkid] inaccessible homework

Janelle Adydan jadydan at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 17 14:32:05 UTC 2011

First off let me say that my child is not blind but does have a disability.
I follow several disability sites, as you never know when you may run across
a piece of information that may help your child. As for homework in
inaccessible format - this is not a problem that pertains to blind students
only. This problem is the same for any and almost every child that needs
something different from the norm. My child is in 7th grade and every year
it gets to the point of almost begging for what she needs. We do as much as
possible at home but can't do it all. Same issues here - wait months for a
textbook they can use, no modifications to daily work,  work comes in late
or not at all, Test dates stay the same, etc. This problem applies to all
children with a disability. Modifications/accommodations are not consistent.
The IEP's are beautifully written but never actually implemented. The child
is the one who suffers from the lack of consistency and the general
disregard for what they need. Unless it's a simple fix like glasses or move
closer to the front forget it.  Thanks for the letting me vent!!!

J. Adydan