[blindkid] overseas teaching

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Sun Feb 6 15:21:35 UTC 2011

It is hard to read this response without feeling a surge of anger.  I wish I
could suggest a kind and measured way to point out how much her letter
reflects the negative, nonsupportive stance for which she blames others.
You might work from the premise that you know your child best, that you are
used to problem-solving together, and that your whole family welcomes
challenges and new experiences.  You might explain how you plan to handle
issues around school, obtaining books etc., and ask her to be specific about
her concerns.  (Why is transportation more of a problem for a blind child
than it is for anybody else???)  If she has to look at her specific
objections she may discover that she is caught up in a nebulous, generalized
fear that has no basis.

Debbie