[blindkid] overseas teaching

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 20:34:19 UTC 2011

Hi Joy,

I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. Is the organization
based in the United States? If so, then it sounds like there are
potential ADA violations going on here. Re-reading the letter they
sent you, it looks to me like they are less concerned about
educational accommodations than they are about your daughter's basic
care and mobility. I too wonder what they mean about public
transportation. Quite frankly, based on the ignorance expressed here,
I wouldn't be surprised if they think blind children don't attend
school at all; I don't think school or education are ever mentioned in
their letter. Additionally, I just have to point out that their
statement about "foreign countries are no friend to people with
disabilities" is a bit of an oversimplification. It's true that other
countries aren't legally obligated to provide educational
accommodations, and in some cultures blindness is incredibly
stigmatized, but it's not the same in all countries. Relatively
"westernized" countries like England and Australia do provide
accommodations (O&M and alternative format accommodations, at least
for college students) that are quite comparable to what we have in the
U.S. I also know blind students who have successfully studied in
Mexico, Japan, and South America and found professors who were more
than willing to email assignments to them as an accommodation, even if
they were not required to do so. If you want to fight for this job,
then Renee's advice seems very good and reasonable. But, I have to say
this organization strikes me as not only ignorant about blindness, but
also a bit disrespectful of other countries and their customs, and I'm
not sure if you would want to work with them anyway, especially since
the author strikes me as pretty confident in his/her views and not
very persuadable. I would like to think there are other organizations
out there that are more open to people who are different and more
willing to cooperate with you rather than pushing you away.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org