[blindkid] Functional Vision Assessment in preschooler -- what should be included -- can anyone PLEASE help?

Carol Castellano blindchildren at verizon.net
Sat Jan 8 15:05:36 UTC 2011

Hi Amy,

There are several FVA instruments on the
market.  The newest that I am aware of (and there
might be newer ones) was published by the
American Printinghouse in 2008.  It seems to be
thorough, but the language in it is exceedingly negative, in my view.

In my experience, I have seen that many (most,
maybe) TVIs use bits and pieces of assessments
they know or like.  Many complain that the full
assessments are too long.  Some states create
their own (I believe NJ did at one time).  I'm
afraid that the thoroughness of FVA reports varies widely.

I have always wished that the Functional Vision
Assessment would be changed to a Functional
SKILLS Assessment, both to change the
"vision-only" mentality--harmful to the kids, I
think--and to get to the real issues--does this
child have the skills and tools that will enable
him/her to accomplish all of the tasks at
hand.  That means will he/she be able to
participate fully and independently in all
classroom activities throughout the school
day.  That means FULLY--without cutting down
assignments and without resorting to audio
learning at a young age!  For partially sighted
children, this often means the need to include
the "nonvisual" skills such as braille, JAWS for
the computer, cane travel, and a certain sort of
VERY NECESSARY self-advocacy training.

Eva Scott, a teacher at The College of New
Jersey, was working on a Functional Skills
Assessment.  I'll contact her and see if it could be shared and used by others.

Another aspect to consider is what reading
medium/a should the child use.  At some point
your child will probably be assessed for that,
too.  The assessments currently on the market for
that purpose also have deep problems!  We'll save that for another post!

Carol

Carol Castellano
973-377-0976
carol_castellano at verizon.net