[blindkid] LED backlit TV -- is it a good choice for low vision kid?

amydarlington at comcast.net amydarlington at comcast.net
Thu Jan 13 01:16:29 UTC 2011

Hi, hope it's okay to cross-post this. We have two kids -- one of which has albinism. She's sensitive to light and sees better if objects are high contrast. She also needs to be pretty close to see images well. We're not big TV watchers and rarely watch, but she is 3 now and a great age for videos and things like Leapfrog (they have great Letter Factory CDs). We'd like to set up an area where she can actually get close enough to the screen to see. We have a place now for the TV where it will be at about her eye level and she can get close. (Our other TV now is up in an armoire, so she really can't see the picture.)
We're looking at different models and trying to weigh what will be best. I was wondering if anyone has thoughts about the LED- backlit LCD televisions. They are just a little more but advertise a brighter display with better contrast (and less power consumption). Does anyone have a child with low vision who sees better with high contrast, and have they noticed a difference with these? We really want to keep the cost down but if the LED backlighting is really helpful, we might go with it.

Thank you for any comments/suggestions!

Amy