[blindkid] convention location

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 13:21:31 UTC 2011

Dear Friends,
Orlando was a wonderful place for a convention, and the hotel was as
nice as you could ask for. I thought it was easier to navigate than
the one in Dallas, and the Publix nearby was a definite money saver
for us.

I also have concerns about having the convention in only one part of
the country for so many years in a row. As fairly new parents of a
blind child, we attended our first NFB convention by driving there for
the parent workshops. We were not connected with any local or state
NFB or NOPBC chapters, and so we did not know there was money
available to help us attend.

I encourage local and state POBC's to continue seeking families of
blind children, so that more families can have the opportunity to get
involved. I realize the NFB is bigger than the parents' division, and
there are many factors that go into the choice of location.

For our family, Orlando or Seattle or Dallas will all be on the other
side of the world for the next two years!

Joy Orton