[blindkid] Described Videos

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Jun 1 18:43:25 UTC 2011

Since some concerns came up about the way blind people can access DVS and similar services I though this might be of interest--

The 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act has reinstated regulations which are going to compel the top broadcast and cable networks to offer more and increasing amounts of DVS programming starting this year (2011) and ramping up for the next 10 years.

According to S.3304,  that act, which was signed into law late in 2010 and which takes effect one year later (hence, this fall):

Interfaces on devices like TV's, DVD's, Computers providing certain internet services and the like which provide accessible services shall...

"be designed, developed, and fabricated so that control of appropriate built-in apparatus functions are accessible to and usable by individuals who are blind or visually impaired"

also:

"if on-screen text menus or other visual indicators built in to the digital apparatus are used to access the functions of the apparatus described in paragraph (1), such functions shall be accompanied by audio output that is either integrated or peripheral to the apparatus, so that such menus or indicators are accessible to and usable by individuals who are blind or visually impaired in real-time"

You can read all about this on the COAT site:

http://www.coataccess.org/node/9776

It seems to be a rather slow process, but there clearly is a trend in the right direction at this point with DVS. I say that any improvement is better than nothing. Besides, a number of networks are already doing some of this without the requirements in place. Likewise, companies such as Pixar have started adding a LOT more described DVD's without any apparent legal requirement facing them at all.

In my personal DVS quest, I ran across another episode of Dora on TV with description this morning and we have Toy Story 3 lined up with DVS for tonight's entertainment on DVD!

Also, I realized that I had confused some information on DVS from TNT with info about TCM (Turner Network Television, vs. Turner Classic Movies). There seems to be a list of about 140 or so titles which when shown on TCM are sent with DVS available. That's great, but apart from Wizard of Oz and maybe a couple of others, I suspect most of those will be mainly of interest to primarily blind adults. I do understand that TNT has shown some films with DVS as well.

One other strange note. TBS (another Turner station) has information posted on their web site that they do not offer DVS programming at this time, however I watched part of Blue Streak with DVS on their station about two days ago. What it comes down to is the way to see what is really playing is to go to the stations and actually listen to alternative audio tracks. So far I have only found these under "Spanish", but check whatever options come up and see if DVS is present!

As this law kicks in, I think we'll begin to find a lot more DVS showing up in all sorts of places...