[blindkid] Great New Book from National Braille Press!

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Mon Jun 13 15:29:13 UTC 2011

 This is a unique and wonderful offering from NBP.  A great birthday or Christmas gift, or a terrific way to keep kids busy on a long vacation trip this summer.  Here's some information about it:

Goodnight Moon to Touch!
from National Braille Press
www.nbp.org
800-548-7323

Goodnight Moon has delighted children and grown-ups since 1947, and now blind children and adults can explore the "great green room" by touch!

Precious few picture books for blind children actually contain pictures. Those that do are often special books with special graphics rather than beloved classics. So we decided to challenge ourselves and make Goodnight Moon a real picture book. Clearly most pages were too busy to replicate in full, so we asked artist Irma Goldberg (Creative Adaptations for Learning) to re-create only those images mentioned in the text - the bowl of mush, the comb, the mittens, and so forth. If you've ever wondered what the pictures look like in Goodnight Moon, you're in for some surprises - at least that's what we heard from those who got a preview.

The three-piece set sells for $30, which includes the print/braille book ($7 value), 20 tactile pictures from the book, and a guide for navigating around the images by touch. This is a keepsake that can be passed down from generation to generation!